Mairs & Power is a nearly 100-year-old firm with over $9 billion in assets under management. Mairs & Power Venture Capital (MPVC) was launched in 2021 and is a growing team at Mairs & Power with $19 million assets under management.
We invest with an Upper Midwest focus across sectors with a focus on businesses that have achieved initial revenue traction and are approaching an inflection point in growth.
Job Title: Venture Capital Associate
Reports To: Venture Principal
Department: Mairs & Power Venture Capital (MPVC)
FLSA Status: Full-Time / Exempt
Location: St. Paul, Minn., with a hybrid work model (remote flexibility, with 50% in-office work required)
About the Role:
This twenty-four-month position will be an integral member of the Venture Capital team assisting with sourcing and supporting portfolio companies as well as with raising capital. This is a generalist and entry level venture capital position that will include administrative, analytical, and strategic work. This position will work closely with the Venture Principal and the two General Partners to assist with potential investment opportunities. You will have the opportunity to learn from and contribute to the team's collective knowledge and expertise, and to participate in all aspects of the investment process. We are looking for a high-potential recent college graduate who is graduating in the spring of 2024 and will join our team soon after.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Assist with identifying and contacting potential investments across the Upper Midwest through network relationships, cold outreach (based in market research) and other channels
- Assist with screening investment opportunities
- Setup and organize meetings for the right members of our team with investment opportunities and other key contacts
- Support the due diligence process for 1-2 investments per quarter
- Engage with supporting companies under the guidance of the lead Mairs & Power Partner or Principal supporting the company
- Support the marketing of MPVC including events and outreach related to raising capital
- Take on other special projects as assigned by the Venture Principal or General Partners
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including written and verbal
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision
- Initiative, problem solving ability, adaptability, flexibility, and detail orientation
- Understanding of entrepreneurial finance and growth stages
- Proficiency with a variety of software packages including use of spreadsheets to create financial models
- Ability to reach out to potential customers or connections to establish relationships in a sales or investment capacity
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record
- Relevant previous coursework in subject areas likely to include accounting, finance, economics, entrepreneurship, and marketing
- Interest in entrepreneurial companies and venture capital investing demonstrated through coursework, extracurricular activities, and/or internships
To apply: Please email email@example.com with your LinkedIn profile and/or resume together with a letter outlining your interest and specific qualifications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.